EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Pull start KT100???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Boone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Pull start KT100??? Reply with quote

OK so am I seeing this right a KT100 with a pull start! Rolling Eyes

Salut MB
http://www.ask-ancenis.fr/
Chad Stapleton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why so surprised michael ? Wink
the one in your picture is an "aftermarket" unit (possibly the SSS unit from Australia), but many KT100's came from yamaha fitted with a factory recoil starter and wet clutch. A predecessor to the TaG motors with the electric starters.
Infact this was the "standard" configutation for the "Champions of the Future" series in the UK & Europe 15 years ago.

Many serious racers removed the recoil unit as they felt it was prone to failure at high rpm's.
I ran one for several years without a problem. it was a very useful unit for a "one man" pit team. I would start the motor with a 6mm bolt slipped into one of the brake rotor drilled holes..locking the axle.. then hop in the seat, pull the bolt out and drive off.
With a little practice, it was also possible to start the motor whilst sat in the seat !
I often wish i had never sold that motor. Crying or Very sad

PS: i assume you are aware of this:-

rich santana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i saw that too, what do you think the demand is for an aftermarket kit here in the states is? the aussies have them direct from yamaha. anybody hear of any kits to do this? sure would be better than watching everybody else go by until the tow truck comes...
KT laydown #66
Jeffory Mott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electric start pictured above is for sale now on Ebay. I think bidding is up to around $180
rich santana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry jeffery-thats a normal external starter. Crying or Very sad we're talking about a self contained starting system on the kart
KT laydown #66
Chad Stapleton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,
there is (was?) a separate "kit" from Japan to add the on board starter to the KT100 but last time i saw one it was around $600-700. Shocked
That price may not be too bad IF it includes a decent clutch...but i know no more about it.
Karl Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad,

Is this the kit you were refering to? Anyone tried one of these? I think they are made in SoCal and there is also one made for the HPV.

Karl Cleeton
Chris Helps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, wrong quote ...
Chris Helps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad Stapleton wrote:
Rich,
there is (was?) a separate "kit" from Japan to add the on board starter to the KT100 but last time i saw one it was around $600-700. Shocked
That price may not be too bad IF it includes a decent clutch...but i know no more about it.

I have the kit, from MTD Karting in Arizona. It does run about $600 to $700 (hopefully the price will eventually drop), plus around $150 for his builder to fit it if you don't want to do it yourself (an adapter and some very basic grinding is required).

It was quite a pleasure the first time I spun out and was able to simply hit the button to get going again!
Chris Helps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl Cleeton wrote:
Chad,

Is this the kit you were refering to? Anyone tried one of these? I think they are made in SoCal and there is also one made for the HPV.

The one pictured here is a different model. The other one is made by Yamaha (used on the KT100SEC) engine, and needs a little adapter for use on American KT100s.
Chad Stapleton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct Chris.
does anyone know if that unit pictured uses a "Sprag clutch" on the end of the crank ? , or is the starter chain running all the time ? (not good)
This type of unit could be nice if built into a Jackshaft motor mount...driving onto the (clutched) jackshaft...... that way you could run any DD motor on the mount , and have an instant "TaG" setup ! Surprised

Can anyone tell me who makes that unit ?
Chris Helps

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad Stapleton wrote:
Correct Chris.
does anyone know if that unit pictured uses a "Sprag clutch" on the end of the crank ? , or is the starter chain running all the time ? (not good)
This type of unit could be nice if built into a Jackshaft motor mount...driving onto the (clutched) jackshaft...... that way you could run any DD motor on the mount , and have an instant "TaG" setup ! Surprised

Can anyone tell me who makes that unit ?

I don't know about that one, but the Yamaha model does properly disengage when the engine is running.
Chris Helps

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Helps wrote:
Chad Stapleton wrote:
Rich,

I have the kit, from MTD Karting in Arizona. It does run about $600 to $700 (hopefully the price will eventually drop), plus around $150 for his builder to fit it if you don't want to do it yourself (an adapter and some very basic grinding is required).

It was quite a pleasure the first time I spun out and was able to simply hit the button to get going again!

Somebody emailed me saying they couldn't find MTD Karting, so here's the contact info, in case anyone is interested:
Ken Tanner: (602) 361-2586
sales@mtdkarting.com
http://www.mtdkarting.com/
Karl Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video I saw showed the unit mounted on an HPV. Sprag or one way drive was on the custom clutch nut and the starter chain quit turning once engine fired. Seller/designer? stated the clutch nut still has hex so you can use a handheld starter if the onboard quit working.

Karl Cleeton
rich santana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody see one of these in action? besides on video...
KT laydown #66
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> 2-Cycle Racing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: