EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Can't get comfortable in GP10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd Kageals

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Can't get comfortable in GP10 Reply with quote

Guys,

I'm currently driving a 2011 GP10. I'm 5'8"/170lbs. I just can't get comfortable despite adjusting everything as "short" as it will go. I also have an older Haase and I am MUCH more comfortable in that kart. So much so that I would drive it instead of the GP10 but my dad is currently racing that kart. I took some measurements and found that the seat on the Hasse is about 2 inches closer to the steering wheel than the seat on the GP10. That even includes an angled steering hub/spacer on the GP10. I was told by the sprint guys that the seat has to be in this exact position (although I never actually confirmed that the seat is in the factory specified position). Anyway....I'd like to just move the seat forward a couple of inches but I don't want to do anything that would "ruin" the handling. What do you guys think about just moving the seat? I currently feel like I have a "tiger by the tail" when I am driving hard because I am basically stretching out to get to the steering wheel.
Josh Buttafoco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the same size/weight 2012 GP10.

Its more important for you to bring the pedals/wheel to you if your seat is in the correct position vs moving the seat out of that position to get you closer to the pedals/wheel.

I have 30mm in steering hub spacers and Italian motors pedal extenders, I also drilled a 3rd hold in the steering upright to bring the wheel down/closer.
Jimmy McNeil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mount the seat where it needs to be to get the best balance possible, then do whats needed to make the kart as comfortable as possible.
Extend the steering shaft if you have to. I weld a piece of stock in the shaft and cut a section of a old shaft to use as the extension. Been doing it this way for years.
Todd Kageals

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another reason that I need to learn to weld.
Todd Kageals

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh,

Could you possibly measure from the top of your seat to the rear axle and from the back of your seat to the rear axle parallel to the ground? I want to make sure I have the seat correct before I do anything else.
Josh Buttafoco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd,

I sent you the measurements I have, but keep in mind this is on a harder tire than most run (hooiser). I have not spent much time playing with it as I had to replace my previous Crg frame after my last race. But it should be a good starting point.

IKP also sells an extended steering shaft with the CRG/GP piment arm measurements. You just have to call and ask for it, it's not on their site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> Road Racing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: