EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
What Karting lacks from getting bigger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> General Karting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Seesemann
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually meant "poll".

A
www.fullthrottlekarting.com
Rotax Challenge of the Americas
www.rotaxchallenge.com
WKA District 10 Trustee
www.worldkarting.com
Really Good Guy.
Keith Bridgeman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that!
Jim McMahon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh theres DEFINITELY a POLE at turn 1 at Rock Island. Just beyond the apex, behind the sidewalk Surprised
Tim Pappas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="David Cole"]
Keith Bridgeman wrote:

The objective for the sport of karting is to enjoy it, no matter how, where or when. It doesn't matter if your trying to be the next Lewis Hamilton or Sebastian Vettel, or just the guy who works overtime to purchase a new chassis for next year's club season. Have fun and enjoy every minute.

How can I enjoy it when it's not on TV, my Rotax isn't competitive in SKUSA anymore, I have to run a seal on my SKUSA Rotax, stock moto sucks, KZ sucks, 4 strokes will destroy the sport, I can build my own kart stand for $50, there is no SKUSA race in Santa Maria, and everyone thinks I race the karts their kids drove at their birthday party?

You got it right Mr. Cole. Applies to life and karting.
mike prokup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is what karting in Europe says.... nice film from NKN.com (convert the pounds to dollars by about 1.51 dollars for each pound...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0ATJFc2N4hw
Keith Bridgeman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul your comment is becoming kind of the norm on here. I would say that about 100% of the people on this forum care a lot about karting and do race or are involved in some way for many, many years. Being on a forum and being active can both be done pretty easy. If there was no good debates on this forum I most likely wouldn't come on here. Most of it is good information also.
Justin Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith Bridgeman wrote:
Paul your comment is becoming kind of the norm on here. I would say that about 100% of the people on this forum care a lot about karting and do race or are involved in some way for many, many years. Being on a forum and being active can both be done pretty easy. If there was no good debates on this forum I most likely wouldn't come on here. Most of it is good information also.

I agree.

EKN seems to have a vast amount of negative comments on the lines of "shut up and go kart!" However I feel many of us are only commenting while at work, or when the track is otherwise closed. I for one never spend a track day or race day on the forum, but in the mean time why the hell not?!

Secondly, I feel this negative attitude does nothing for the sport. There are many Negative people in karting. From change, to simply providing help. I feel those who do provide help are some of the BEST, yet then there are the negative guys who can't help but dropping one line, negative comments which do nothing but waste bandwith.

Again, how many "new to karting" threads are there? Aaaaand, what is the very first answer? "go to your local track and see what they are running." That is a joke. You don't see it in the motorcycle world, AT ALL. You can buy a bike and race anywhere. Karting can, and In my opinion should be the same.
mike prokup

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Hail wrote:
And the #1 reason, karters would rather go online and complane about what is wrong with karting rather than sit down and work together to improve it.

So log off and go to the track.
Greg Wright

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I didn't find Paul's comment at all negative.

I AM INDY!!

"When in doubt, gas it. It won't help but it ends the suspense."
Christopher LaTorre

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: LAKC Reply with quote

Try this for Local action
The Los Angeles Karting Championship will be streaming live this Sunday as their July main event race action will be broadcast by Kart Racer TV. The broadcast will begin at 1:30pm pacific/4:30pm eastern. Just simply click on the link below and catch all the action.

Kart Racer TV

https://new.livestream.com/accounts/2856403/events/2244430

Here is another one that will be run with Indy at the speedway in October.

“2013 PRD PAN-AMERICAN CROWN OF KARTING”
The first PRD Pan-American Crown of Karting event will commence on October 18th, 2013 at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana California! The two day event featured races are:
“The MAVTV 500 Indy Car World Championship”
“Firestone Indy Lights”
“The 2013 PRD Pan-American Crown of Karting”.
The Auto Club Speedway has invited the PRD Pan-Am Crown to join the entertainment program for the fans! This is not just a race, this event is a “show” displayed in a setting to maximize driver skills to the public and you will be part of the show! “The PRD Pan-Am Crown of Karting” will be highlighted as part of The Auto Club Speedways massive advertising campaign, broadcasting the action packed weekend of events to the fans.
The PRD Pan-Am Crown sanctioned by the World Karting Association will feature world class drivers invited from Canada, Mexico, South America, U.S.A. and the Islands (CIK-FIA license holders allowed). These drivers will be competing in the following five high performance high horsepower classes.
Honda Performance Development 50cc Mini Cadet 5 - 7
PRD 125cc Controlled Tag Cadet 8 - 12
PRD 125cc Controlled Tag Junior 12 - 15
* PRD 125cc Controlled Tag Senior Pro 16 & older
PRD 125cc Controlled Tag Grand Mstr 35 & older
*Split in two (2) flights
*Two flights: This class will consist of all participants entering the Senior Professional class. All participants will compete directly with all other participants. Beginning with timed qualifying then falling into a group A/group B format throughout the event. Ending the show combining the 2 group’s top competitors to compete in the final for the Senior Pro Crown and the remaining competitors will compete in the Senior Pro. (details to follow)
A maximum of 34 qualified drivers will be accepted in each class (68 maximum drivers in the PRD Senior class). The top 3 finishers in each class will receive awards. Additionally, special awards will be presented to Honda Mini and PRD Cadet (to be announced). Cash prizes totaling $12,000.00 will also be awarded to PRD Junior, PRD Senior Pro Crown, PRD Senior Pro and PRD Grand Masters.
The PRD Pan-Am Crown of Karting will be contested on a purpose built track never raced before! This unique track will weave its way into the fan zone adjacent to the major fan based activities for maximum fan viewing and entertainment. This new track is approximately six tenths of a mile long and will be constructed exclusively for the PRD Pan-Am Crown. The track will be new to all drivers; no one will be able to hone their set up in advance of the race. This event will showcase race teams, race talent and the ability to adapt in a short period of time. “Success here means success anywhere”.
PRD-USA invites PRD and Honda drivers to attend this special event October 18 – 19, 2013 (move in October 17th), at the Auto Club Speedway.
All entries must be pre-registered and will include entry to the weekend events and activities at the Auto Club Speedway. Only pre-purchased pit passes will include an entry to the weekend events and activities at the Auto Club Speedway. (details to follow)!
Event details and information will be posted shortly on prd-usa.com and on prd-usa facebook. Looking forward to seeing you all in October!
Rob Kozakowski

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Martin wrote:
Again, how many "new to karting" threads are there? Aaaaand, what is the very first answer? "go to your local track and see what they are running." That is a joke. You don't see it in the motorcycle world, AT ALL. You can buy a bike and race anywhere. Karting can, and In my opinion should be the same.

The key to what you said was "In my opinion"...

A lot of us are quick to dismiss another person's different opinion as "negative", when often times, it's simply... DIFFERENT.

Nope, kart racing isn't like bike racing. Kart racing is however very much like any other kind of 4-wheeled motorsports - where "go to your local track and see what they're running" is the absolute best advice you can give a newbie.

Some people take that as a "negative" comment. Others take it as reality.

Based on my 20+ years in and around kart racing, I'm a firm believer that our existing model is the way it is for a reason... because it's what works best for our sport.

By all means look for ways to improve it if you want, but please understand that many of us who've been around it for a long time just want to continue to enjoy it for what it is. Nope, it's not perfect, but it's not that bad of a compromise.
paul rees

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Growth in Karting Reply with quote

Growth in Karting and media coverage . In the Media World/Television/Cable/Dish Networks. You need a show and a message, you are trying to get across . The largest thing a viewer has to see is the DRIVER, the karts just blend in to the back ground and the seeming end less parade around the track . GP Motorcycle Racing has same issues, but vastly different results . GP flashy dynamic events, flamboyant riders with big Ego's and many huge factories behind them. With huge bugets with lot's on the line. When you say Gokart Racing or Karting there is a very different view of what is happening on track . What is biggest name in Karting ? compare there over all team budget to one Factory GP rider and his squad for that bike. NHRA Dragracing pays to be on TV .
Alan Dove

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karting is massive if you include all the arrive and drive stuff Smile

The reason normal owner driver karting has limited growth potential is because the costs are so high, which is an inevitability due to the increase complexity of modern karting. But then the increased complexity came about because of changing market dynamics so it's only become what it was always going to be.

really the golden ticket the middle ground. Elite level arrive and drive. We already see in the UK this is a growth market - club100/dmax etc...
paul rees

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Cost Reply with quote

Alan Dove wrote:
Karting is massive if you include all the arrive and drive stuff Smile

The reason normal owner driver karting has limited growth potential is because the costs are so high, which is an inevitability due to the increase complexity of modern karting. But then the increased complexity came about because of changing market dynamics so it's only become what it was always going to be.

really the golden ticket the middle ground. Elite level arrive and drive. We already see in the UK this is a growth market - club100/dmax etc...
For Chassis builders Engine suppliers Tire builders . Wouldn't much to show for a canned type event . One type chassis one engine one type of tire . It would be tuff to say me equipment the best, when it is the only one being used. Arrive and driver is great for fringe Karter. A modern kart still has the same thing the earliest kart have Chassis engine four Wheels and a Seat. The set up is what makes a Kart fast . And a good driver makes it real fast. Cost will not go down, If Arrive and Drive owners get enough of the market . Those prices and cost will go up.

Last edited by paul rees on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total
mike clements

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Phoenix we have at least 4 outlaw kart tracks. No affiliation with any sanctioning body at all. There are NO rules at all. When you come in the gate, you sign a release stating that you understand that you are responsible for your own safety. You do the pre race safety check on your own kart and You are responsible for your own safety clothing and helmet.

By the way, all of these tracks are situated on "Private Property".

You can run any kart, any engine with any modifications, any tires, etc. Every one is in the same class. Just one class for the entire day. Just "Kart racing", that's it.

At the end of the main event, the difference between the most advanced kart there and the modified yard kart is about 1 lap.

I have seen people racing modern asphalt karts and working out of their high dollar trucks and trailers. I also noticed that the greater majority of the racers were running the equivalent of Yard Karts out of the trunk of their street daily driver.

This has caught on and it's growing like a wildfire here. There are some really good drivers and there are pure hobbyists just playing. Point is: The tracks are all full and sometimes you have to go through several heats to make it to the main.

When I asked these folks why they are Not racing at the local, more organized tracks, they tell me there is just too much "snob and arrogance" and also the rules are just too tight and confining.
I tend to agree with the rules statement.
At the Phoenix asphalt track, PKRA, I have seen brand new racers turned away because something on a 5 year olds Kid Kart was not legal. This was not a Safety infraction either. And, with the kid being a first timer, he had little to no chance of being competitive. The tech man with the overinflated ego could have simply pointed out the problem and asked the dad to please have this repaired before the next race. But NOOO...

Tech persons make a powerful statement when they deal with a First Time racer. Sometimes, that statement is, I mean Usually is, too harsh and it drives away new racers. And guess where they go ? They quit. They put their stuff on craigslist and find another hobby.

Karting clubs and promoters need to remember that most people came there to have Fun. The rules makers that fix the rules to pad their own pockets don't seem to realize that if they would just play fair the entire pie would grow larger. Instead, they are trying to take a larger slice of the current pie by forcing racers to purchase stuff from them.
Build your stuff and put it out there. When the racers see it, if they like it, they will buy it.
Let's allow karting to be FUN again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> General Karting Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: