EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Horstman axle clutch question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Dixon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John -- definitely a possibility...the motor I planned on running for that race went south in morning practice (ignition problem of some sort), so I had to swap to my (fairly tired) backup...though, that motor *really* wanted to twist...I was turning 14.4-14.6 by myself on the straight...but...it just turned into a pig as soon as I got onto the clutch (so, either motor had no bottom end, or clutch got sick)...either way, both motors are getting rebuilt before VIR, and I'm going to spend my 4th going thru that clutch. I really do appreciate all you guys and your ideas...
Rick Fulks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the clutch checks out (friction disc ok, springs measured and ok, air gap ok, etc.) and it was slipping at the desired stall speed early in the run and went down after some heat was built up...the motor is either lying down (like everyone is suggesting) OR you have too much weight in the clutch for the gear ratio you are running and the hp of the motor. How many turns out are you setting the clutch to slip at the desired stall speed?

Rick Fulks
kelly Read

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is RICK FULKS???? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Scott Dixon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, clutch was torn down...nothing obvious wrong inside. Motor I was using definitely had some time on it, so maybe it was just trying to lay down...Thanks all for the input...sorry there's no 'a ha!' type of conclusion...
ric mcdade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Fulks Reply with quote

Kelly, Rick Fulks, you remember, the older guy at Topeka last year that you spent all the time with trying to help him go fast. Remember now? Smile
Dale Coffey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok who's old now Ric? I agree Rick Fulks is OLD, but your Alzheimer's must be kicking in. That was Randy Fulks at Topeka last year.
Bernie Baldus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
Basically, like everyone says, the Horstman Axle clutch, when right is pretty stable and bulletproof. We have a hand full of them and they all work great! We have run them for over 25 years.

Usually, when you see something like this happen out on the track, it is a drop in Horsepower and usually due to carburation. I know theoretically the horsepower shouldn't matter, but it does. 100-or 200 rpm isn't abnormal, but when you adjust it and it changes nearly 1,000 rpms, that is peculiar.

You don't know me, but if you have a couple of weeks I would be happy to take a look at your clutch and at least we would know if it is the clutch or the engine.

All a person would need to know is the gear ratio you are wanting to run.

Then everything is setup from there. Meaning you run the Horstman Springs according to the gear ratio you run -Yellow Springs above 5:1 Black Springs for below 4.0-5:1 normally. (Tungsten weights are only designed for 5.3+:1 or above although some do use them when running 4.5-5.0:1. No tungsten at Daytona or a really fast track. (I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have Tungsten weights in the clutch) Check the Spring length like Debbie said.
If you run Fox Valley Springs, they work in almost every gear ratio for a road racer.

All the floaters need to be rough, not shining like chrome. The floaters also need to be flat. No warping at all. check them on a surface plate.

Air Gap from .042"-.050"
Change the oil regularly. We run ATF and change it every weekend.

PM me if you need anything.

Bernie Baldus
ric mcdade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Fulks Reply with quote

Dale, your right as usual, Rick, Randy, when you've been beat by them all, it starts to run together! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> Road Racing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: