EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Round 2 trailer mock up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> General Karting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broque Ward

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Round 2 trailer mock up Reply with quote

So I got my platforms that I designed back from the shop, and began mocking up the trailer I plan on doing either a stainless or a aluminum enclosure that wraps over the support bars and has weather tight hinges the entire length of all sides so I can prop up all four corners and use that for sun cover and ease of access. Im thinking about adding this nifty little wheel roller for the back tires so you can spin it whilt on the platform, possibly even start it, and if you have an imagination, imagine tuning the kart on it and having a dynamometer hooked up. I used all stainless bolts, its gonna be real interesting once its finished. I'm stoked so far!

Its also going to be detachable from the trailer and act as a kart garage it will be setup so its extremely secure.
I'm designing another one with two heights for two karts and will be building one soon. I could not do two karts with my trailer as the wheel wells are two short to allow it, but the great thing is the kart stand fits underneath.

first pic are the platforms upside down before I took the trailer down to the bare ammenities.

here is the start..

I cut the wheel well area with a combo of a sawzaw and angle grinder

Later on after making the support brackets (see the aluminum pieces at the edge of the platform)

got the kart up onto the stand after getting a walk through on how to do it from good ole Stevie B hehe

Thar she blows!

after getting the kart up on top,I proceeded to figure out a way to tie down the kart and stand

front of trailer

I worked on it all day yesterday.

been having a lot of fun building it but im torn up, the entire time i built it i had a sore shoulder form sleeping on it the night before the wrong way.. this morning I woke up at 5am with sharp pain in it. its going away now happened on my right shoulder a couple months ago, some kind of muscle knots or something.. Kinda sucks because I wasnted to race at E town today..

and heres some pics from this beautiful morning

Last edited by Broque Ward on Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total
Brian Degulis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It slices it dices and makes hundereds of julian fries!!!!!!!!!

Brian
Greg Lindahl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those aluminum bolts you're using to fasten the case halves?
Chris Laird

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks as though the trailer is coming along great! The attention to detail and craftsmanship is second to none as everything is square and true. I was curious to the lips on the inside of the ramps. If those were gone, seems like the ramps would make great benches for the crew or even slide some plywood over them to put an air mattress on for camping at the track. Totally diggin the convertible top. Open it up on nice days or close it up and fire up the ac/heater on the not so nice days. Your design is awesome and will be a great inspiration to the karting community. Have you considered starting your own trailer company? I would be very interested the stacker version of this. I even thought of a name for it considering your personal experience (being sore from the build) although it would require an ever so slight mispronunciation of your name. You could call it BroqueBackTrailers.com. What do you think a double stacker version with ac/heater would go for retail?
Broque Ward

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Laird wrote:
Looks as though the trailer is coming along great! The attention to detail and craftsmanship is second to none as everything is square and true. I was curious to the lips on the inside of the ramps. If those were gone, seems like the ramps would make great benches for the crew or even slide some plywood over them to put an air mattress on for camping at the track. Totally diggin the convertible top. Open it up on nice days or close it up and fire up the ac/heater on the not so nice days. Your design is awesome and will be a great inspiration to the karting community. Have you considered starting your own trailer company? I would be very interested the stacker version of this. I even thought of a name for it considering your personal experience (being sore from the build) although it would require an ever so slight mispronunciation of your name. You could call it BroqueBackTrailers.com. What do you think a double stacker version with ac/heater would go for retail?

Thanks, (I think) ;p

the rear support brackets are actually a little to long and arch up the platform as you can see the angle in the pictures. However this is a mock up prototype. the platforms are not rigid enough for my liking so im going up on thickness, about .035 thou, its t5052 aluminum.

you can still sit in the trailer with the lips they are all deburred and all the cuts I made are deburred so no one cuts themselves.

the bed idea is already planned out with a air matress Smile

the heating and a/c is a good idea, im not that far into it yet.. I picked up lighting it from the other thread with the led lights.

I just got back form the sheet metal company and I drove the kart over there to show them the progress... Funny enough the company is on Progress street so Im pretty happy with the choice i made for the sheet metal company and the owners are awesome.

anyway, I went there to "progress on the build" and after a little thought we came up with a hinged ramp for the platforms, so you can roll down the kart to the ground (which is important that will be shown once its all finished).. The ramps also have a BONUS feature which I will show everyone when I get them set up, either tues or wed night they should be complete. can't wait to show the bonus feature!

the tarp is great but I have something better already designed for it.

my name is pronounced brock. not broke not sure if your trying to be sarcastic with the website comment or not either way though its not catchy and its way to close to broke back mountain. sure does sound like your being witty with sarcasm. and I dont care for it if you arent thats great.
Broque Ward

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Lindahl wrote:
Are those aluminum bolts you're using to fasten the case halves?

hell no
Tyson Henry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Laird wrote:

Most excellent post. +1
Broque Ward

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i got the ramps for the kart finished and set them up. the platforms the kart stays on in the trailer was the first one made for prototyping and it's too thin and flexes a little too much however it serves it purpose for now.

in the video this was my first time ever attempting it Im working on the ramps now and all the nuisances will be straightened out(like the lowering of the ramps ) hehe I almost had a problem in the one point in the video hehe. but hey im showing the progress and love documenting it. It will all work smooth in the end. Cool
CLICK TO VIEW VIDEO

here i am loading it the first time I figured out a better way to do this by reviewing these tapes.
CLICK TO VIEW VIDEO

loving the progress!!
joseph hollinger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to guess that you don't know this, but the kartlift can drop you kart directly into the trailer (or extract it from). You don't need those ramps.
Broque Ward

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know, it I've already done it...... This is much easier also does much.more I completed the ramps yesterday I'll have footage soon.
Broque Ward

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, It looks like someone has done something like it.

im still going to build a double decker as these trailers are only in europe. I had fun doing the military one. Very Happy now its time to build the double decker.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> General Karting Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: