EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
219 Chains????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marc walsh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: 219 Chains???? Reply with quote

Ok I want to take a poll on what seems to be the most reliable. TIRED of replacing after every weekend and wasting sprockets.

*DID-Standard or O-ring
*RK -Standard or O-ring
*CZ ?
*Copperhead
*Panther
Walt Gifford

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the Panther is the best. I've always used DID DHA gold on gold (non Oring) with no problems.

Gif Cool
40 years karting experience
Patrick Hubbell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't use the o-ring chain, it just adds friction.
use the DHA DID gold chan. Check my post in the TaG forum for maintenance.
Matt Kern

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt Gifford wrote:
I've heard the Panther is the best. I've always used DID DHA gold on gold (non Oring) with no problems.

Gif Cool

Same here. Just don't forget lots of lube Wink
Rob Kozakowski

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those things where there is no right or wrong answer.

I've never used oring. Never seen the need to use it yet, especially at the extra cost. Of the standards, I've tried all kinds of brands over the years on all kinds of engines, and have never had problems with any of them or had any of them abuse sprockets - unless I got lazy with prep.

I was actually shocked when I got back into karting and was told by one of the most successful Rotax racers in the world that they run the basic standard non-oring DID G&G - not even the DHA. Just change it every 3 or 4 weekends, and you should be fine. At $25-$35, you're talking $6-12 per weekend to budget for chain, if you go with the cheap stuff.

IMO, the 4 keys to avoiding problems with the chain and sprockets are spending time breaking / attaching links, aligning, lubing and tensioning. If you take care with these things you'll put a lot less stress on the chain and sprockets and they'll last. I use FIMO chain lube and I re-lube every session, even if the stuff is very messy.

If you follow that prep, the only things that might hurt it are impacts between chain/sprocket and something hard (curbs) or rain. I find you can lube / oil, etc. all you want, if water gets into and sets into any of the links, it will shorten the life of your chain. Living in Western Canada where we get lots of rain, there's a reason I change any chain I'm using every 3-4 weekends - on at least 1 of those weekends I'm either racing in the wet or hauling the kart in the rain on my open trailer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> 2-Cycle Racing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: