EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Ballast placement on back of seat, High or Low?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> Chassis & Handling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Holstein

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Ballast placement on back of seat, High or Low? Reply with quote

Forgive me if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find a exact answer for this question:

Is mounting the ballast on the bottom of the seat the best position?

Or is it any advantage to mount higher, say inline with the frames rear seat mounts?

It would seem to me that weight at the bottom of the seat could pendulum outward through a corner and as a result could influence the chassis in an adverse way by pushing down on the frame in the inside of the turn.

Is this correct thinking?

My first race I was 20 some pounds under, mounted it all on the bottom, improved rear grip and braking power was noticed.

Next practice I mounted one 10Lb weight on the bottom left, and mounted the other 10Lbs above it at the seat mounts, it seemed a tad better, but track conditions were completely different then.

I may be over thinking this so excuse my nubisum.
Ted Hamilton

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All weight will act like a pendulum about the center of mass, which is probably somewhere around your belly button while seated. The further away you place it, the harder it will be to counteract. This can work to your advantage or disadvantage depending on how you're trying to set the kart up. If you're having a hard time getting inside lift in the rear even at narrower axle settings, place the weight high. If you're having a hard time staying planted at max width, place it low... If you want quicker kart rotation, keep it near the center of mass. As usual, there's no right answer, just compromises.
Owner, www.hamiltonhelmets.com // UAS Racer #76 // Karting for karting's sake...keep it fun!
Dan Haynes

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Ted said, depends on what the kart needs. At club races with YLC's we usually ran the weight high, even with YLB's on a green track. But when the grip levels came up, the weight went down. Just like anything else, the weight should be used as a tuning tool but ideally you want it as close the center of the kart as possible.
#3 Arrow X1-CIK
TaG
Cook Racing Engines Parilla Leopard
Dave Holstein

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> Chassis & Handling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: