EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Vortex RVS 125

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebastien Levesque

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Vortex RVS 125 Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm new to the shifter karts world, I used to be in rotax max before. I have a ton of questions for you guys, really any help is appreciated.

I just go myself a nice Tony Kart Racer EVS shifter with a Vortex RVS 125 on it.

But I don't know anything about this engine. I used to have an Vortex ICA 100cc engine, and I had a blast with it until it broke and broke again....

My questions are:

What is the true HP power of this engine?
What is the best rev to shift this beast?
What is the recommended oil/fuel ratio ?
What is the best spark plug? I have a NGK 10 on it.....
What is the optimal exhaust temp. I should not be under or over?
What is the recommended jetting range on the RVS?

And most of all... Where can I get replacement parts for it?
I live in Sherbrooke, Canada, and SH Karting has a little trouble finding special parts like carbon reeds for the RVS...

Also my piston is a 54.93 ( the biggest apparently), when i'll need to redo my engine, is there something I can do if I need a bigger piston?

Thanks a lot for your help

Last edited by Sebastien Levesque on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total
Alex King

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get in touch with 2Wild Karting (www.2wildkarting.com), they can help you! I know they were testing one of (or the latest) Vortex at the end of last year. Ask to speak wtih Ryon and tell him that the Brazilian Superstar sent you...so hopefully he can give me a discount next time I stop there.
Jim McMahon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pluck a number you like between 40-50HP. Depends who's dyno it was run on, how aggressive the tune was. At the end of the day it doesn't matter. To be honest on most tracks its very close between a correctly tuned ICA and a KZ\ICC.

It will depend on the porting of your specific motor, but typically you'll be shifting between 13,800 and 14,200 with an overrev of 14,800 if you need it. Overall the RVS is a revvy little motor, so dont be afraid to spin it. It will be dead below 9500, almost like the ignition has been cut. This is normal.

6oz/gal (ie "around" 4% or 24:1), same as any shifter really. Fuel wise run with something with an octane of 96MON or higher. MS98 is popular. Higher octane will do no harm, you'll just be making less power.

10 is fine. Really really hot days you might need an 11, breaking in a piston and or pottering around you could use a 9.

As high as you can get it before it starts to drop in top gear at the end of the longest straight. Too many variables to quote a figure. One day that could be 1250F another it could be 1450F. Personally I woudnt place too much empasis on it. The KZ\ICC motors dont benefit from extreme lean jetting in the way an ICA\FA would. Al Nunley will probably chime in on EGT, but honestly I would say get an air density gauge and start making notes regarding density, jetting and on-track performance. EGT is OK as some sort of reference, but I've found it to be an inconsistent tuning tool where shifters are concerned. YMMV.

Starting point for practically all KZ/ICC motors is around a 165 main for a sprint track, but it depends highly on the nozzle and needle you have in your carb. You will need to verify this first.

Also my piston is a 54.93 ( the biggest apparently), when i'll need to redo my engine, is there something I can do if I need a bigger piston?
Nope, you will just get the cylinder re-plated (assuming its even needed) to the size for the skirt clearance you desire.

So now I have to ask, have you gotten any advice from the person you bought it from? Naturally that would be a great place to start.
Randy Pierson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James is correct on all the items, but I suspect your piston is a 53.93. If it was 54.93 the thing would be 1mm oversize. Unless your plating is worn, stick with a fresh piston that size....53.93mm.
Sebastien Levesque

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim McMahon wrote:
Pluck a number you like between 40-50HP. Depends who's dyno it was run on, how aggressive the tune was. At the end of the day it doesn't matter. To be honest on most tracks its very close between a correctly tuned ICA and a KZ\ICC.

It will depend on the porting of your specific motor, but typically you'll be shifting between 13,800 and 14,200 with an overrev of 14,800 if you need it. Overall the RVS is a revvy little motor, so dont be afraid to spin it. It will be dead below 9500, almost like the ignition has been cut. This is normal.

6oz/gal (ie "around" 4% or 24:1), same as any shifter really. Fuel wise run with something with an octane of 96MON or higher. MS98 is popular. Higher octane will do no harm, you'll just be making less power.

10 is fine. Really really hot days you might need an 11, breaking in a piston and or pottering around you could use a 9.

As high as you can get it before it starts to drop in top gear at the end of the longest straight. Too many variables to quote a figure. One day that could be 1250F another it could be 1450F. Personally I woudnt place too much empasis on it. The KZ\ICC motors dont benefit from extreme lean jetting in the way an ICA\FA would. Al Nunley will probably chime in on EGT, but honestly I would say get an air density gauge and start making notes regarding density, jetting and on-track performance. EGT is OK as some sort of reference, but I've found it to be an inconsistent tuning tool where shifters are concerned. YMMV.

Starting point for practically all KZ/ICC motors is around a 165 main for a sprint track, but it depends highly on the nozzle and needle you have in your carb. You will need to verify this first.

Nope, you will just get the cylinder re-plated (assuming its even needed) to the size for the skirt clearance you desire.

So now I have to ask, have you gotten any advice from the person you bought it from? Naturally that would be a great place to start.

Many Thanks for the answers....
I'll tell you why i didn't get much from the guy I baught it from: the kart was one of his friends, but he had a hard time with money lately, so to help him, he bought his kart, but he didn't know anything about it.... He made all the repairs at SH Karting in Montreal, and for the 2 years that he had it, he only ran it 2 times...

The link below is the kart I bought.... the guy driving it was the first owner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuowxTNkTCY

As for the jetting, when i undid the carb, this is the information I got:

Idle Jet 65/B46
Choke 60
Needle Valve 270
It came with a 152 Main Jet with 4.0g Floats
Needle K28 pin at 3

... the plug was clogged, and the top of the piston had carbon deposit on it, so my guess is SH Karting tuned the engine a lot richer, just to make sure he doesn't blow up the engine.... but 152 Main Jet it seems small though... maybe he didn't run it properly... I don't know.

The Carbon reeds are badly worned (each top corner of the petals were worn for about 3/8" square inch) , so I ordered new ones from J3 Competition yesterday... maybe that also made it run rich or something...

Imagine, the guy was running the kart like that, and he told me that in 5th gear, your head would still go back... I just can't imagine what it would be when everything's gonna be fixed... Very Happy

Last edited by Sebastien Levesque on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total
Sebastien Levesque

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy Pierson wrote:
James is correct on all the items, but I suspect your piston is a 53.93. If it was 54.93 the thing would be 1mm oversize. Unless your plating is worn, stick with a fresh piston that size....53.93mm.

My mistake Randy.... The piston is at 53.93... but if the gap between the cylinder and the piston is too big... what are my choices???

Also I was thinking about getting the Dellorto On board Main Jet adjuster kit for the VHSH.... do you recommend it to me ? Is this a good feature to have??

Also, I know I have to put 200ml of oil in the trans, but which kind and grade do you recommend me?
al nunley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, a search on my name shows I responded in this thread, but I canít find the response. Does this mean it was deleted for some reason??
Joe Ricard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an RVS as well. Yep they are pretty tough motors that love to run up the RPM band. ( I stuck it this winter being stupid) now needs a rebuild.

I am running a Vortex VL125 right now and still loving it. So if you might be interested in a parts motor let me know.

Advice given about is spot on.
Jim McMahon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

al nunley wrote:
Funny, a search on my name shows I responded in this thread, but I canít find the response. Does this mean it was deleted for some reason??

You must have done a search in the body of the posts, NOT the person who created them. I mentioned your name somewhere above.
Tom Barth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastien,

Watch video and see tach in upper RH corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ7opFeNqfI

Power is good...more power is better... too much power is just right!
Adi RocK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, anyone knows how many gearbox oil it needs. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> Shifter Karts All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: