EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Cracked seat strut

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> Chassis & Handling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francis Hu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Cracked seat strut Reply with quote

Sad I have a 2 year old Margay Brava 1, and the left seat strut is cracked. It is cracked above the weld where the strut goes from two tubes to one tube.
Has anyone else have experience with this? What do you think causes this. Is it fatigue from frame flex or from the initial beding of the strut to install the seat.
What is the best way to repair this. I assume the frame tubing is chromolly 4130. What is the best way to weld this. Should I also weld on some doublers?
Lee Jashinsky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Francis,

I had the same problem with my CRG Heron. The seat strut was cracked were it was welded to the frame. I didn't fix it right away and the first race out it broke completely. I feel it was cracked when the strut was bent out to fit my seat. I had it mig welded and installed an additional seat strut on each side. This was May of 2002 and I have had no problems since with the seat strut. I don't know if TIG welding it would be better, but the MIG weld seemed to be fine on mine.
Gary Lawson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Margay at the shop they have since solved the problem. Happened to me and they were great about getting it fixed right.
Michael Taksa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My strut cracked in the same place after removing rear torsion bar. Too muche stress. I had it welded right there on the track. Still going.
Francis Hu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks to all who have replied. I talked with Margay and they said what cause the seat struts to crack is over bending during seat installation and having build in stress in the struts from mounting the seat incorrectly (not getting all of the holes lined up and forcing the bolts in). Over time the stresses will cause fatique crack and lead to failure.
Margay was very helpful and sent me two new seat struts at no charge. I cut off the old struts and had a welder TIG weld the new ones on. According to the welder, TIG is the strongest weld.
I really appreciated the customer support from Margay eventhough I bought the chasis used. They stand behind their products.
Dustin McGrew

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> Chassis & Handling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: