EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Question on tuning / weight with a local animal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> Briggs & Stratton 4-Cycle Racing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russell Stevens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Question on tuning / weight with a local animal Reply with quote

I'm trying to brainstorm a minor issue we are having with our race program. My son is racing in what is effectively an LO206 class. He is at a 20lb disadvantage but is keeping up with (and ahead of) a fair portion of his class. These racers get past him when he makes a mistake, and that is fair. There are a couple of karts that are able to pull out and pass him on a straight like he is standing still. They are running the same front gear, and are we are geared 2 teeth taller in the rear (they 58 we 60). I assumed that it was because he was setting up the straight incorrectly when leaving the turn right before it, but we noted that on a start one of these faster karts was following him (at what appeared to be the same speed), pulled out, and passed him like he was standing still. This was halfway down the first straight after the start. My son was turning about 6200RPM at this point, had his foot to the floor. It isn't the typical get a run and slowly pull past type of affair. It looked like it does when I pass him in the TAG. The class runs a 6" wide tire in the rear, and we are on a 6" wide rim. The other kart is on a wider rear rim. Our main jet is just on the edge of being lean and only pops occasionally. The pass is happening about 400' down the stretch and everyone is up to speed by then. We are running a Stinger clutch with purple springs.

Here is the question. Would 20lb cause this huge disparity in speed at this point on the track? Is there some tuning trick I'm missing. His engine runs great and like I said he is pretty even with others in his class. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
John Burgess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number that has been thrown around on here for years is every 10 lbs is about equal to 1/10 of a sec a lap. That being said I have seen many drivers that are heavy on the scales at the front of the race at the end.
It sounds like you are comfortable with your motor package and tuning, I would propose that the kart passing you simply has more speed at corner exit. I would look to your front end set up as a way to gain more speed on exit. Do your lap timing in splits rather than just overall time. Time your son through a series of corners, then time the karter that is passing you exactly as you have timed your son. If your son is slower through some corners compared to the faster kart it will give you a baseline to work with.
If you are running with the rest of the pack, it should mean you are not to far off on your set up, but there is speed in the front end of the kart. Early on I always went to the back of the kart, till I helped some very fast drivers, they almost always went to the front of the kart to decrease their lap times. Spend a good portion of the practice days changing front end set ups, IE caster, camber, toe in/out, tire pressures to learn how your kart and son respond to the changes. As you get faster in the corners, you will be able to take to start taking teeth off the rear sprocket.
Russell Stevens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will start there.
Rusty
John Matthews

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's an "effectively" class?

I would suggest your club run by the LO206 rules and not try to make up their own. If that's not what's going on please explain....

Also, I'm starting to use the new website so check it out over there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> Briggs & Stratton 4-Cycle Racing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: