EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Cutting off driver's left seat strut

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> Chassis & Handling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Cutting off driver's left seat strut Reply with quote

Rather than trying to expand the seat gap on a chassis, I'm thinking of removing the left seat strut on the chassis. Wanted to hear some previous experiences with this or any tips in doing this from the masses here?
Facebook
Twitter
Tim Koyen
Advertiser
Advertiser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting off driver's left seat strut Reply with quote

David Cole wrote:
Rather than trying to expand the seat gap on a chassis, I'm thinking of removing the left seat strut on the chassis. Wanted to hear some previous experiences with this or any tips in doing this from the masses here?

Why not just bend it out? Are you replacing it with a Bolt on version, or re-welding it? I'm not a big fan of welding on the frame like that, at least the main tubes. It definitely can change things.
www.facebook.com/kartlift
Gary Lawson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I wouldn't. Not like you are that big and would need to open it too much. I prefer to use a big dead blow hammer over an axle.
Gary Lawson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I wouldn't. Not like you are that big and would need to open it too much. I prefer to use a big dead blow hammer over an axle.
Ray Lovestead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead blow hammer? You're a crazy person! Use the spare jack out of your car. Just open it up to push out on both sides of the seat stays.
Gary Lawson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I think using a jack is more crazy than a 5 pound plastic hammer but I don't know anything anyway. How does the jack work when you only want to move one side?
Tim Koyen
Advertiser
Advertiser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Gary Lawson wrote:
I think using a jack is more crazy than a 5 pound plastic hammer but I don't know anything anyway. How does the jack work when you only want to move one side?

I'm with Gary on this one. I much prefer the hammer. I think it gives better control over what is bending and where.
www.facebook.com/kartlift
David Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It measures under 12 inches between struts, and I'm guessing I will need about 14 inches for a large seat. The engine side is just enough right to fit the engine and clutch (LO206). I thought about stretching, but wouldn't you need to have a flat table to do it properly? I thought cutting off and using a movable seat strut.
Facebook
Twitter
Gary Lawson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 14 does come to mind for a large. By saying stretching you mean open right? Like I said just hit it with a plastic hammer while on the stand. Start light and measure each time. Some are very soft while others can be short/stiff. It's not very complicated
Brian Degulis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this a few times. If it has to go out 2" it may not bend where you want it to with force alone or it may crack at the weld to the frame. Wrap the frame with some wet towels and use an oxy/act torch to heat it quickly and make the bend. With 2 people you barely put any heat at all into the frame rail.

Brian
Larry Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this on every kart I've ever owned and to me this is the cleanest way I've ever been able to figure out. An old axle provides plenty of leverage and the wood helps to focus energy where you want it while allowing the full length of the struts to bend smoothly in order to avoid kinks.

Bill Martin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds really painful...and I didn't even know drivers came with left seat struts! Razz
Chris Reinhardt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there's a 100 ways to skin a cat here.... I use a bent 40mm axle. Drop it through where the triangle is on the frame, give it a yank. Never had one crack, works like a charm.....

I wouldn't cut it off, bolt on struts ALWAYS move, and rewelding would add extra heat to it you don't need.

CR

CR2 Motorsports
"Home of Cobalt Superkarts"
www.CR2MotorSports.webs.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> Chassis & Handling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: