EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
3rd axle bearing for lo206?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> General Karting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary Fisler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: 3rd axle bearing for lo206? Reply with quote

I've noticed the clone drivers recommend removing the 3rd bearing from the axle of a 2 cycle kart when installing a clone. Is this the same for a lo206?
Steve Kaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On margay chassis, that has worked better for a couple of us running at Shawano.
John Matthews

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just unbolt it and secure with zip ties. That way you can always bolt it back up if you need it for a rain setup.

Cheers,
andy graham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary -- most tonykart chassis set up the same way with the middle bearing carrier unbolted from the chassis. OGP does the initial set up on my karts, and they all had a "floating" middle bearing carrier...not sure why, I didnt ask.
John Matthews

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for it is the axle flexes when you corner. With two bearings it can run smoothly, when the third bearing is bolted tight it will bind as the axle goes from straight to deformed and back again. Mike Clements designed a "floating" third bearing that allows the use of a very soft axle. It maintains toe-in/toe-out on the rear but still allows camber to change as the kart goes through a corner. It works really well on dirt oval, don't know how it would work on asphalt though. AFAIK it was never tested in sprints.

Third bearing loose is the standard set-up for most karts except shifters. "Freeing up the rear" is what it's about and as many folks smarter than me have said it's critical for good lap times. For lots of beginners it doesn't make sense that you would want bolts loose or left out completely but that's exactly what you should do in this case. You can remove the bearing entirely of course, odds are you will never need it and it does weigh a pound or two but I usually leave them in place just in case it rains.

Cheers,
russ jolly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran briggs back when the raptor engines were the choice engine and never ran a third bearing. Axel gets way to tight and next thing you know you your skipping and hopping through the corners and your RPMs drag through the corners while you loose precious time! I cant think of a reason to even keep it in.
Clark Gaynor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Son road races a TopKart/Leopard and we do the same thing. Remove the set screws and unbolt the third bearing. As mentioned above, just secure it with nylon ties. It does free up the chassis!
I would assume with the lower HP of a standard 4 stroke, you'd want the chassis as free as possible.
It's a VERY simple change. Can be done in a couple minutes. Try back to back tests and let us know what you find. Check mid and turn exit RPM and note the difference. I suspect you'll pick up a bit with the third bearing out of the loop, so to speak.
Fun, easy test--have fun,
Clark Sr.
charles hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three's a crowd

------------------>DRSWAMP RACING INC<-----------------
andy graham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that makes total sense, less binding, I get it....I notice that most of the shifter karts bolt in the middle bearing, can I assume that's due to the increased hp of the shifter engine?
Clark Gaynor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
russ jolly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

again yes.. Shifters have a hard enough time from keeping the rear from breaking loose, this helps a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> General Karting Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: