EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Plans For 2014 Opening Of New Road Course At Thompson Intern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Stockford

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Plans For 2014 Opening Of New Road Course At Thompson Intern Reply with quote

not sure if anyone else saw this.

Great News for the North East karter

http://www.racedayct.com/2013/01/plans-for-2014-opening-of-new-road-course-at-thompson-international-speedway-emerging/
Jeff Wesell
Advertiser
Advertiser

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raced a Legends Car event at Thompson back around '97. The facility and surrounding Golf Course was really unique and I remember how great of a place and staff (at that time) were there.

This is really good news to see and I can only imagine how nice of a road course they will be adding.

Will be neat to follow the progress.
(262) 457-5018
Chuck Skowron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that article when it came out back in January. Although I wonder how much of a chance does a karting club have in getting a date, or several of them at the track, if and when the road course at Thompson International Speedway does open.

I would imagine with all the race orgs, car clubs, possibly motorcycle clubs as well, wanting track time, demand for the facility will be very high.

Even if karts managed to get on the track, would the place be safe enough for them? I remember going to a swap meet years ago at Thompson, and managed to find the old road course path and walk it. With the improved standards of safety we have today (the old Thompson road course was last used in 1978) I recall thinking at certain points how it would be verrry sketchy trying to race cars on the circuit, never mind karts and motorcycles. But I'm sure they have a plan, the proposed layout in the link above seems to have put some of these things into consideration. We'll just have to wait and see.

Regardless what happens, it's really great news to hear this old road course planning to be resurrected, our corner of the country definitely can use as many road courses as we could get. ESPECIALLY considering that it's a mere 20 minutes from where my kart currently resides (this road course would be even closer to it than any dedicated kart track in the region).

If anyone is wondering where Thompson, Connecticut is. It's right on the very northeast corner of the state, just like Lime Rock Park is on the northwest corner of CT, a nice symmetry. In fact, it's so close to the border, a car on the road course could wind up in Rhode Island or Massachusetts if they miss their braking point. Well, not really; but the borders are pretty close.
CRG/Spec Honda - #15
marc ciannavei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back pre 1978.....Karts raced the course counter clockwise. (SCCA ran clockwise). They did this to avoid the off camber transition between the oval and the road couse. It will be nice to see some activity at this neglected road course.

Marc
Joe Brizzolara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope they open and we can race karts there! The northeast needs more tracks.
Eric Stockford

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we have some updates on the road course at the newly named
Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park.

http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> Road Racing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: