EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Exhausted at the end of Sessions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> Chassis & Handling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy graham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: exhausted... Reply with quote

Gonna jump in on this one and ask some serious questions, later I'll tell you why I'm asking.

You say you're exhausted after a session and its visible to everyone...how long a session in the kart are you talking about and what do others see when you say "they can see it"?

How old are you, and how active are you on a regular basis?

Do you smoke cigarettes or have you ever smoked?

How is your sodium consumption? not salt specifically, but the amount of sodium in what you eat daily..if you eat a lot of processed foods, the preservatives are sodium based and usually its a lot of it. Average sodium intake for an adult is about 2500mg a day max.

Are you ever tired or exhausted from other activities, or do you ever feel lathargic and just want to sit on the couch and do nothing, something that's not in your nature? Has this feeling increased over the past months or years?

A little personal but its crucially important -- are you the same man in the bedroom that you were 5 years ago? If not, that's a sign of bigger things -- again, trust me please.

Has anyone close to you recently or ever pulled you aside and asked if you're ok and feeling ok? Specifically, has anyone ever commented on your "color"? Like, "man, you feel alright? you look a little yellowish or grey."

When you feel exhausted, do you ever have any pain anywhere? Chest? arms? underarms? neck? back? legs?

So, all these questions -- what gives, right? THe reason I'm coming out of left field with these questions is because I dont want you to find out you have heart disease the way I did -- by having a widowmaker heart attack at 43 and having no prior knowledge that I had a problem at all.

I'm a non smoker, non drinker, 6'2" 180lb very active person my entire life, grew up surfing as much as I could, moved to the N. Shore and surfed the biggest/best waves in the world in the 90s. Rode competitive amatuer MX for 15 years in Hawaii and back in FL and all over the East Coast.

The point is, if you're that exhausted after driving, and you're an active person, you're body is most likely talking to you. Something doesnt sound right...if you climb and have an "ok" diet and a non smoker, 15 minutes in a sprint kart shouldn't wipe you out like you are describing.

I can tell you from personal experience that prior to my heart attack, I had become so "lazy" that I didnt want to do anything but sit on the couch because no matter what I did, it would wear me out quick and bum me out because not but what seemed like a few years earlier I could do the same thing no problem...like surfing -- right before my heart attack I was good for maybe two waves in 45 minutes, and I was totally winded and armpits hurt the whole time. Couldnt understand it.

Nearly two years later, I sit here with six coronary stents that opened up five coronary arteries that were 65%+ blocked. I feel the best I've felt in probably 15 years with regard to stamina and endurance.

I decided last year that I missed my 2 strokes and since MX was out of the question per Drs orders and karting was ok, it seemed like a natural for me, especially considering that we have a free track to practice at with 103rd st facility.

I can tell you that after being stented, I have a very hard time doing anything that gets me "winded". I do 20 minute practice sessions each time out in a level 2 suit in 90 degree heat and 60% humidity, and on an average day I'll do 4 sessions depending on time.

Long and short of it -- no matter what your age, if you are that tired and answered yes to any of those questions I posed, go talk to your Dr about whats going on. If he wont listen, go to some one who will. I had to find out the hard way about heart disease, and it's not age discriminatory...I found that out in rehab. I thought it would be all people my parents age, was amazed to see 30 and 40 year olds in cardiac rehab...it's the silent epidemic in this country. Get checked out -- or end up like me, fighting for your life in some ER somewhere praying you dont become the next statistic of the day.
Evan Fraser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't checked this thread in a bit, sorry. I do have heel stops.

I'm 29, I try to stay away from processed foods and high sodium. Never smoked. I'm not as active as I was (new job, more desk time), bedroom stuff is the same, no comments on colour. My Mom would have noticed, she's a 20+ year ICU nurse. No pain other than death-grip arms.

An interesting point though, is that my Uncle had a heart attack at 44. I may have to ask him as to the cause.

Fortunately to each of your questions the answer is no, but it's an excellent point you raise. I made some of the handling changes (during which I noticed my left rear had migrated inward), and went for a good long practice session, made sure I relaxed and it felt great.

Then I clipped someone and hit the tire wall at approx. 70kmh and flipped the kart, got ejected. Neck brace, helmet et al. did their jobs and I walked away with nothing more than a few nasty bruises acquired on my way out of the kart.

Oops.
#43 - TAG Sr.
West Coast Kart Club
andy graham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan --

I'm glad to hear that you are not experiencing any of the symptoms that I offered up...also glad to hear that you were not seriously hurt in your kart crash.

The family history of heart attack under 50 could be telling, especially since it was an uncle and not an aunt. My mother's uncle fell over dead out of his chair at 45 from a massive heart attack. My grandmother wrote it off as "well he drank alot and smoked alot so we figured he just died from that." I sure wish I would have known that before I had my heart attack. I told my cardio that months later and he was somewhat relieved because I carry none of the commonly known triggers -- non smoker, non drinker, low cholesterol, active, perfect weight to height ratio. He has no doubts that my heart disease is genetically rooted, however heart disease is not known to be carried on a particular gene, so its a huge mystery.

Not trying to play high and mighty here, but as a survivor I'd suggest making an appointment with the family doc just to let him know that you're fatigued from exercise and that you have a history of early heart disease amongst the men on your mom's side of the family. IF he acts like its no big deal and dont worry about it, go see someone else. Heart disease is very real and is affectiing the younger population these days...we think of it as something our parents deal with, but from what I've learned, its showing up in our generation more and more.

Good luck with the kart and good luck with your health. My best advice is to listen to your body closely and don't ignore what it's telling you. If you hurt, there's a reason. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> Chassis & Handling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: