EKN Platinum Forum - Russell
HOME - NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - MULTIMEDIA - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - INTERNATIONAL NEWS - NEW TO KARTING - CONTACT

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
On-board video - "kart-cam" "helmet-cam"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> General Karting Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddroger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2001 5:31 pm    Post subject: On-board video - "kart-cam" "helmet-cam" Reply with quote

We've been using a small remote camera feeding in to a camcorder to record "on the kart" impressions of test days and in some event practices. We've used both on-helmet and on the kart camera locations and find there is good and bad in each choice.

The helmet mount presents a good "you are there" image, but the camera is sensitive to the driver's head position, and typically they think they drive more "head up" than they really do. You end up getting a good view of their feet, plus 20 feet of the track ahead! Also, they're not always looking where the kart is going (not an aiming issue)

Mounting on the kart gives a more accurate indication of where the kart is going, but having a solid enough mount and a good mounting point is not always easy.

In either case, we've held the camcorder and the remote camera's power source in a large fanny pack strapped backwards on the driver's chest. Our next move will be to use a video transmitter/receiver and a vcr located in the infield to get rid of the bulk of the camcorder on-board.

Any one else tried this?

Don Roger
Dawn Irving

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:01 am    Post subject: On-board video - "kart-cam" "helmet-cam" Reply with quote

No, but am in the process of investigating this myself. Please keep me informed if you find anything.
Joe Brittin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:06 am    Post subject: On-board video - "kart-cam" "helmet-cam" Reply with quote

John Copeland with Fox Valley Kart shop was
recording video at Putnam Park in the enduro
karts a couple of weeks ago. He can be contacted through the Fox Valley web site.
Roger Ruthhart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 5:31 am    Post subject: On-board video - "kart-cam" "helmet-cam" Reply with quote

I have a great tape that Dan Roe did last year using a helmet cam which includes footage from the Rock Island Grand Prix street race. He can be reached at danroe44@prodigy.net if you'd like more information.
Patrick Hubbell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 5:36 am    Post subject: On-board video - "kart-cam" "helmet-cam" Reply with quote

I have been using the Helmetcam for several months now. I guess the quality of the recording by mounting the camera on the helmet depends a lot on the driver.

I have found the footage to be very valuable for both driving and tuning the kart. At a recent race while playing back the video for some friends I realized that the clutch was slipping a bit to much. I adjusted the clutch and ran away in the main.

The best $300 I have spent in a long time.
Tim Blaney

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 6:50 am    Post subject: On-board video - "kart-cam" "helmet-cam" Reply with quote

Brian Kay from T2 got some cool video at Mid-Ohio last year. He mounted the camera in the air cleaner looking backwards.
Mike Hendley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 8:25 am    Post subject: On-board video - "kart-cam" "helmet-cam" Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Blaney:
Brian Kay from T2 got some cool video at Mid-Ohio last year. He mounted the camera in the air cleaner looking backwards.

I have created some short videos which include some helmet cam stuff. They are available in the multimedia section of my web site at http://www.indevcoracing.com

BTW, Don were you able to isolate the vibration of the kart from the camera?

Regards,
Mike
bird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 11:31 am    Post subject: On-board video - "kart-cam" "helmet-cam" Reply with quote

I reckon a backwards pointing one would be great for catching out all the little muppets who seem to be attracted to other peoples rear bumpers! (we're allowed to use video evidence in protests)

- Mary-Ann www.kartlink.net
Erik Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 12:32 pm    Post subject: On-board video - "kart-cam" "helmet-cam" Reply with quote

I found a nice little camera package at www.conecam.com I'm considering purchasing this to attempt to mount on my kart or helmet.

There was a discussion about this recently on TKWS and basically the consensus was that the driver is the best vibration damper on the kart. Mounting the equipment anyhwere else on the kart means that the vibration and shock loading issues can be difficult to ovecome.

I too have wondered about helmet mounting, with respect to camera aiming. I guess I'd find out very quickly how much I move my head around during a race!

-erik
Christofer Hoff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 3:04 pm    Post subject: On-board video - "kart-cam" "helmet-cam" Reply with quote

I'll throw my vote in for the helmetcam (just so we're clear, I'm referring to the unit made/sold by [url=http://www.helmetcamera.com)]www.helmetcamera.com)[/url]

I use it every time I practice and as many times as is practical when racing -- great diagnostic tool for racing and fun at parties!

I recently attended another shifter kart school and knocked 1 6/10ths (!) seconds off per lap (short track)by analyzing my entry into two of the critical corners.

Excellent ROI.

CHris

(BTW, here's very badly compressed video @ an indoor karting facility in Boston:
http://www.nodewarrior.net/~hoff/video/F1B-SpeedRacer.html

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Don Roger:
We've been using a small remote camera feeding in to a camcorder to record "on the kart" impressions of test days and in some event practices. We've used both on-helmet and on the kart camera locations and find there is good and bad in each choice.

The helmet mount presents a good "you are there" image, but the camera is sensitive to the driver's head position, and typically they think they drive more "head up" than they really do. You end up getting a good view of their feet, plus 20 feet of the track ahead! Also, they're not always looking where the kart is going (not an aiming issue)

Mounting on the kart gives a more accurate indication of where the kart is going, but having a solid enough mount and a good mounting point is not always easy.

In either case, we've held the camcorder and the remote camera's power source in a large fanny pack strapped backwards on the driver's chest. Our next move will be to use a video transmitter/receiver and a vcr located in the infield to get rid of the bulk of the camcorder on-board.

Any one else tried this?

Don Roger

Martin Secrest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:03 pm    Post subject: On-board video - "kart-cam" "helmet-cam" Reply with quote

I've done some experimenting w/this. I bought the unit from helmetcamera.com, but found that the internal microphone in the lipstick-style camera was not at all adequate, and it was necessary to add the optional external microphone. I haven't used it much in races yet, preferring to concentrate on my racing, but I did build a box for the camera inside the kart. I made the box from bellypan aluminum, and mounted the box on two narrow pieces of PVC tubing. I cut notches in the PVC pipes, and ny-tied them to the kart chassis. The camcorder goes into a fannypack that is strapped into the aluminum box. Shock dampening is provided by the PVC supports, and generous amounts of carpet padding.

As per the camera location, I found it necessary to put the camera on top of my helmet, and velcro the wire to the side of the helmet and the kart so that it cannot fall into the rear rotor or axle.
ddroger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:06 pm    Post subject: On-board video - "kart-cam" "helmet-cam" Reply with quote

My kart-mount for the camera is a fairly robust stalk that can clamp to some front bumpers without seeming to flex/vibrate on its own, and I isolate the camera with about 1/2" of stiff foam wrapped around it.

For more info on remote cameras and video transmitters, look on www.interlog.com/~microvid/
Kevin Murray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 7:11 am    Post subject: On-board video - "kart-cam" "helmet-cam" Reply with quote

I toyed with the helmet cam abit this year. I went the cheap way, and it has worked great. I used an old X10 camera, wired to a homemade battery pack. The cam is taped to the helmet, and the cables run down to the battery pack, and miniDV camera in a fanny pack on my lap.

Forgetting the cost of the miniDV camera, it cost less than $125, to get going.

It currently has a short in the wiring, which I have to find time to fix, but otherwise worked great. We had the same problem with aiming the cam to low on the helmet.

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    EKNClassic.com Forum Index -> General Karting Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: